Saturday, January 9, 2010

My first week......











of my illustrious career - over!


Teaching (more like observing) 5th grade was actually a blast.

I really liked it.....and I think - when I get more used to things, I'm really gonna like it!

Yeah!........it would not be good at this point if I hated it.

1st day - I did an activity based on my science unit - traits, and I learned everybody's name.

I now know ALL of them......and I am so glad. It is hard to teach when you don't know anybody's name, I did that last quarter, way too many times.


2nd day - I taught science. I always get assigned science. Does any regular teacher like to teach science? Twice, I've been introduced to a mentor teacher , who immediately asked ........."uuuuh - how would you feel about teaching a month long science unit, and how'bout starting on Monday ?" I gulp - and say okay (do I look like a scientist?).
My science lesson went great, and I learned how to use the elmo, and I KNEW everybody's name.
3rd day - My mentor teacher had "something come up" (she really did), and had to leave me alone with the class. No warning. I just told myself that I was a 43 year old mother of five - and I knew exactly what I was doing - hmm. I went ahead and did the spelling bee that was scheduled for 11:30 - fun. My "use the word in a sentence " sentences, were exactly like the one I just wrote. Luckily, no one seemed to care.
Next, - I taught gym. LHM!!! 6th graders and 5th graders - at least 40 of them.......sliding all over and paying no attention to me - whatsoever!
I screamed my guts out for 40 minutes straight.
Hint: Don't ever take on this project your 3rd day of student teaching - bad idea for self esteem and positive thinking, and "love of the game".

4th day - I taught another science lesson with well behaved 5th graders. Who knew? I also discovered the teacher salad bar. I'm not really good at preparing my lunch in the morning and , school lunch is really "quite yucky" - but I love a good salad - so that will work for me. Too bad, I had already eaten shrimp poppers and......I can't remember. I also learned to bring my own crushed ice - it reminds of my old life and by 12:20, I need a diet coke.

5th day - No teaching. Just preparation for my school meeting that afternoon. I really like my supervisor and my group. I cannot complain!

6th day - Today. Saturday Jan 9, 2010. I had to take the Praxis test for elementary school teachers (7:30 am). I am pretty sure I flunked. If I would have just asked Olivia what range, mean, mode, and median meant before taking the test......maybe I could have go that question correct......................... Are you smarter than a fifth grader?


Oh well.......I'm on my way.

4 comments:

JGEM said...

I liked the detailed report. And I'm sure you didn't FAIL.

nielsons*love*family said...

wtg!!!! LIBBI!!!!

Mrs. Poff said...

Duane to the WESt-e for elementary teachers and I DID tell him the difference between range, mean, median and mode....and he still missed that questions...mOOOOOODe...mooooooost common in the list....etc.....

Laura said...

Haha Em, that is EXACTLY what I thought when I read that!

Libbi - it only gets better, except PE which always sucks...but the rest gets funner as you figure out what you are doing. And if all else fails, at least you know their names!